The digital revolution is changing how people live, work, and invest. Among the tremendous effects of the internet is transforming how people invest by providing new opportunities and challenges. As opposed to the past when people invested in physical and tangible real estate like residential and commercial properties, today, they can invest in intangible digital real estate and reap big.
Digital assets stand out from traditional real estate because they don’t need substantial upfront funding and have low risk than other markets. Also, they appeal to investors with their high return potential, accessibility, and negligible restrictions. Read on to learn more about digital real estate and how to join this lucrative venture.
Digital Real Estate Vs. Traditional Real Estate?
What is digital real estate and how is it different from traditional real estate? To understand digital real estate, you need to first define traditional real estate. In traditional real estate, you buy a property –house, apartment, or land, sell or rent it and make a profit.
Digital real estate utilizes the same formula and involves purchasing, leasing, and selling virtual properties. Virtual properties include websites, social media pages, domain names, and gaming platforms.
One of the ways digital investors can earn money is by selling products, selling ad space, and affiliate marketing. The future is promising with revenue channels like affiliate marketing on an upward trend. Affiliate marketing was projected to hit $8.85 billion in 2022.
Besides, some channels like affiliate marketing have more than one income stream, enabling even beginners to earn tens of thousands, while experienced affiliates are raking in 6-7 figures annually.
Is Digital Real Estate a Good Investment?
Undoubtedly, digital real estate can be lucrative, but is digital real estate legit? Yes! Digital products can be traded just as physical products. However, with many people entering the digital space and the demand for digital assets rising, digital real estate has more potential.
Despite its promising nature, the profits you make depend on the value of the digital asset you invest in. While others are worth a few dollars, some run into millions depending on factors like the number of your followers on social media sites, domain authority, site traffic, and market demand.
What are the Pros and Cons of Digital Investing?
- Potential for high returns: As more people discover digital real estate, the demand for virtual properties will grow, increasing profits substantially.
- Fewer limitations: Unlike physical real estate, digital real estate is not restricted to a specific location, and you can reach a global audience. Also, digital assets are more scalable than physical ones. For instance, you can add more content or products to a website to increase returns without huge financial implications.
- Passive income: People looking for passive income sources should consider digital properties. Once established, a website can generate tons of money for a digital investor.
- Lower barriers to entry: Unlike physical properties, investors mustn’t have millions of dollars to start, making digital investing accessible and affordable.
- Since the digital real estate market is relatively new, it does not have adequate regulation for optimal efficiency and security. As such, investors must be careful to avoid falling into scams and fraudsters.
- In the rapidly changing digital market, market volatility is a big concern and may affect the value of assets.
- Digital real estate requires understanding various technologies, trends, and platforms for optimal outcomes. For instance, you cannot invest in crypto mindlessly and must know how it works.
How Do You Invest in Digital Real Estate?
Did you know the number of websites on the internet stands at 1.13 billion? Websites are among the easiest ways to invest in digital real estate. However, many people believe that building a website is complex and you require vast technical knowledge and web design skills. Nonetheless, this is untrue. With numerous web design software –paid and free, you can create a website quickly and seamlessly.
You can either create your own website or purchase an established site. Both approaches have their benefits and drawbacks. Building a website is cost-effective, but monetizing it takes time and effort. On the other hand, buying an established website is costly, but you get a site already making money, increasing the odds of getting an ROI.
If you build your own website, you have control over the domain and the content. Software like Wix, Hibu, and Weebly are invaluable. People who want to purchase a website have many options and online listings to explore. However, it is best practice to do your due diligence before committing. A tool like SEMrush can help you establish the health of a site so you invest confidently.
Whether you buy or build a website, you benefit in four significant ways.
- First, you can grow the website and sell it for profit.
- Second, a website is an excellent passive income source. You generate income through advertising, sponsored content, and affiliate marketing.
- Third, websites have great long-term growth potential, attracting buyers willing to pay a premium.
- Lastly, a site offers an excellent opportunity for personal growth and networking.
2. Selling Virtual Products
Research shows that 80% of American consumers –approximately 263 million people shop online. Consumers prefer online shopping because it is convenient, cost-effective, and accessible. Also, you get a variety of products, leverage discounts, and shop discreetly.
Investors can take advantage of these vast numbers to sell digital items like online courses, ebooks, photos, templates, graphics, and software and join the savvy digital real estate investment crew. The secret in this niche is creating unique and value-additional digital products to get a following and increase sales. Boost your reach and revenue by selling on worldwide platforms like Amazon and Etsy.
Moreover, if you have skills that others want and can pay for, consider creating an online course and selling it as a digital asset. You can make tons of money from the course, and the income becomes passive with time.
You may wonder where to start when creating an online course. Follow these easy steps-
- Select a popular and high-demand topic.
- Develop a course using different types of content –articles, videos, infographics, and statistics.
- Promote the course on social media, email, and guest blog about it.
- Sell the course on platforms like Teachable and Udemy.
- Keep your course updated to increase appeal and audience.
3. Invest in Cryptocurrency
Cryptocurrency is a prominent way of digital real estate investing. Research shows that 21% of American adults own a cryptocurrency. This digital asset stands out from traditional investing because it is not governed by a central institution like a bank or government, thus immune to private and public interventions.
Why is cryptocurrency attractive to investors?
- It provides high returns.
- It offers inflation protection, something many investors seek.
- It has impressive transactional speed and cost, unlike other transactions that take days or even weeks.
- It is secure, backed by the blockchain technology.
- It offers diversification from traditional assets like bonds and stocks, reducing risk and maximizing profits.
You can invest in crypto directly by opening an account with a cryptocurrency exchange or through a cryptocurrency mutual fund. In the latter, you buy and sell cryptocurrencies; in the former, you invest in diverse cryptocurrencies to minimize risk. Whichever you choose, note that cryptocurrency is highly volatile and can fluctuate in the short term. Also, many scammers are in the market; thus, you should be careful not to fall prey.
4. Flipping Domain Names
Become a digital landlord by buying and selling domain names. Typically, you want to purchase a domain at a low price and sell it later at a high price to make a profit. As more businesses seek to establish a robust online presence, having a high authority domain is essential. These businesses are willing to buy domain names at a good cost, making domain flipping a lucrative digital real estate.
In domain flipping, choosing valuable domain names is crucial. A high-demand domain should meet the criteria below.
- It should be short, making it easy to remember and type.
- It should be unique.
- It ends with .com
- It is relevant.
- It is older; older domain names have more traffic than newer ones.
If you want to invest in domains, domain marketplaces like Sedo are a good place to start shopping. People new to domain flipping will find domain appraisal tools invaluable. When you identify a domain you want to buy, negotiate the cost and become an owner of a digital asset.
Which is the Best Digital Real Estate Investment?
The best digital real estate investment varies from one person to another depending on their interests, budget, and financial goals. When choosing the best one, ask yourself the following questions.
- What is your budget? While there’s something for every budget, the amount you want to spend determines your investment. If you are on a budget, selling digital items is ideal. People with a larger budget can consider purchasing an established website and selling it at a profit.
- Do you want a short or long-term investment?
- What are your passions and interests? A virtual asset you are passionate about is fulfilling.
- Do you want a hands-on or hands-off investment? While most virtual real estate investments require time and effort, some are more hands-on than others. For example, flipping domains is less hands-off than building a website.
Investing in digital real estate is exciting and lucrative. You enjoy high returns, low entry barriers, scalability, and greater efficiency and convenience. However, savvy investors must understand the types of digital assets and stay informed on trends to choose the best virtual properties and maximize income. Also, they must research the potential value of digital investments and align opportunities with their goals to build wealth online.